Consumer Information DisclosureName of Institution: International Sports Sciences Association
1015 Mark Ave
Carpinteria California 93013
Year Founded: 1988
First Accredited: 2009
Next Scheduled Review: 2018
President: Dr. Sal Arria
Accreditation and Agency Contact Information:
Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC)
1601 18th Street, NW, Suite 2
Washington D.C. 20009-2529
ISSA is licensed by the California Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education through 2018 (Institution Code: #82931860, Institutional Approval #21564) to operate as an Accredited Institution. View our Licensed Educational Program List
Students who have a grievance may contact ISSA Management by phone at 1.800.892.4772 (1.805.745.8111) or by mail to ISSA Management, 1015 Mark Ave, Carpinteria, CA 93013.
Any questions a student may have regarding this enrollment agreement that have not been satisfactorily answered by ISSA may be directed to the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education at 2535 Capitol Oaks Drive, Suite 400, Sacramento, CA 95814, www.bppe.ca.gov, toll-free telephone number (888) 370-7589 or by fax (916) 263-1897.
A student or any member of the public may file a complaint about this institution with the BPPE by calling (888) 370-7589 toll-free or by completing a complaint form, which can be obtained on the bureau's Internet website www.bppe.ca.gov.
Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education
1625 North Market Blvd. Suite S-202
Sacramento, CA 95834
ISSA is subject to investigation of student complaints, by the Office of the Attorney General or the Maryland Higher Education Commission. Complaints should be directed to:
Maryland Attorney General
Consumer Protection Division
200 St. Paul St.
Baltimore, MD 21202
410-528-8662 / 888-743-0823 (toll free)
Participation in Funding Programs:
Tuition Assistance is available to all Active Duty, Active Guard/Reserve, and military and civilian personnel of the Army National Guard, through the Defense Activity for Nontraditional Education Support (DANTES), which qualifies active duty military personnel for tuition reimbursement. www.dantes.doded.mil
International Sports Sciences Association is licensed for Veterans' Educational Benefits. 916-503-8317 www.caave.ca.gov
The International Sports Sciences Association (ISSA) believes that the health and fitness of our society can be significantly improved by our students' success as health, sports and fitness professionals. Our efforts to stem the tide of poor health and physical decline are multiplied exponentially as our graduates and members disseminate the ISSA principles and methods to their clients, peers and associates.
As a distance education institution and certifying agency, the ISSA is unconditionally committed to providing the highest quality distance education programs available, advancing our industry as a whole, and developing greater access to career opportunities for those who share our vision of Creating a Stronger, Healthier World.
- Students first
- Professional Advocacy
- Meeting fitness and health care staffing needs
- Excellence and innovation in education
- Visionary leadership
- Change Agents
- Commitment to a healthy and productive lifestyle
- Professional autonomy
- High integrity and ethical standards
- To serve ISSA fitness professionals by developing programs that are beneficial and of interest to the fitness industry
- To enhance professional development of fitness professionals by facilitating opportunities for learning and individual growth
- To establish standards and guidelines for the delivery of quality and professional fitness services and business practices, as well as the development of ethics standards for ISSA fitness professionals
- To collaborate with public and private industries on the development of programs and services to increase the awareness of fitness education and its benefits to individuals and communities
- To network with other industry organizations to advance fitness education, careers and professional practices by initiating and disseminating research findings.
- To graduate students who are prepared for the fitness industry
- To enroll a wide range of qualified students from across the globe interested in personal growth, job acquisition, career advancement or higher education goals in the health and fitness industry.
- To recruit and retain effective and qualified staff and faculty committed to distance education.
- To provide students skills, support systems and information they need to succeed in the fitness industry and higher education aspirations.
- To tie student assessments to our strategic planning
- To provide relevant and up to date curriculum deliverable through online means.
- To investigate, research and implement relevant technology as beneficial to the delivery of online education.
To turn our vision into a reality and to accomplish our mission, the ISSA strives for the following outcomes
Trainer/Client1. To administer policies and programs with the priority being the best interests of public health and well being.
Students2. To produce students that are inspirational leaders, academically sound, and professional in their fitness and health related profession.
3. To nurture studentsâ€™ abilities to be lifelong learners
4. To promote the use of professional behaviors in the work environment
5. To enable the skills necessary to exercise autonomous judgment in professional endeavors as employees or business owners.
Learning and Teaching7. To support faculty scholarship, teaching excellence, and service to the ISSA, community and professional activities
8. To support faculty leadership in the development of contemporary curricula
9. To promote student learning by utilizing best instructional practices
Culture10. To focus on helping one student at a time.
11. To focus on student success in daily studies, preparation and testing (competence)
12. To promote an organizational culture that respects open communication, job ownership, and teamwork between all divisions; Public, Education and Professional.
13. To encourage sharing the impact that a healthy active and productive lifestyle creates on all people and society at large.
14. To expect ethical behavior and integrity in all staff actions.
15. To support professional advocacy in working with external constituencies
Quality16. To focus on regular quality improvements to enhance institutional effectiveness
Growth and Innovation17. To search out and embrace change and innovation in processes that enhances educational outcomes
18. To responsibly grow the ISSA based on societyâ€™s need for our programs and the availability of resources and personnel to support the improved health and well being of our society as a whole.
19. To provide visionary educational models that address student learning needs
Stewardship20. To manage all school operations ethically, economically, safely and efficiently
Programs:AS Exercise Science with an Emphasis in Personal Training
Certified Fitness Trainer
Specialist in Fitness Nutrition
Specialist in Fitness for Older Adults
Youth Fitness Trainer
Specialist in Sports Conditioning
Specialist in Performance Nutrition
Tuition:Self-paced Certificate Courses
$599.00 + S&H
Guided Study Certificate Courses
$925.00 + S&H
Success Indicators:Percentage of Students Surveyed Who Responded that they:
Achieved their learning goals: 95%
Would recommend the school to a friend: 96%
Were satisfied with their studies: 99%
Achieved their learning goals: 90%
Would recommend the school to a friend: 95%
Were satisfied with their studies: 93%
Performance IndicatorsDegree course:
This program is new. Therefore, the number of students who graduate, the number of students who placed, or the starting salary you can earn after finishing the educational program are unknown at this time. Information regarding general salary and placement statistics may be available from government sources or from the institution, but is not equivalent to actual performance data.
Normal Time for ISSA's AS Degree in Exercise Science is 3 years (36 months). 150% of Normal Time for the program is 4.5 years (54 months). The program began in April 2011. The first opportunity to query the inaugural cohort at 150% of Normal Time will be in October of 2015.
Current class completion rate within program 93%Certificate courses:
- Certified Fitness Trainer (CFT) 85%
- Specialist in Fitness Nutrition (SFN) 90%
- Specialist in Exercise Therapy (SET) 86%
- Specialist in Strength & Conditioning (SSC) 84%
- Youth Fitness Trainer (YFT) 90%
- Specialist in Senior Fitness (SSF) 85%
Percentage of Graduates Surveyed Who Responded That They:Learned to think critically and analytically about health and fitness: 99%
Learned to solve complex real-world health and fitness problems: 94%
Learned something that changed the way they understood an issue or concept
related to health and fitness problems: 93%
Job Related IndicatorsAcquired job or work related skills 6 months after graduation: 95%
Received a job promotion: 55%
Received a pay increase: 50%
How much are you currently earning per year in your part time or full time employment?
|$0 - $5,000.00||3.4%|
|$5,001.00 - $10,0000.00||3.3%|
|$10,001.00 - $15,000.00||6.9%|
|$15,001.00 - $20,000.00||9.3%|
|$20,001.00 - $25,000.00||14.8%|
|$25,001.00 - $30,000.00||6.9%|
|$35,001.00 - $40,000.00||8%|
|$40,000.00 - $45,000.00||17.5%|
International Sports Sciences Association is an accredited member of the Better Business Bureau with an A+ rating.