The International Sports Sciences Association believes that the health and fitness of our society can be significantly improved by our students' success as health, sports and fitness professionals. Our efforts to stem the tide of poor health and physical decline are multiplied exponentially as our graduates and members disseminate the ISSA principles and methods to their clients, peers and associates. Our mission is to inspire each and every student to positively impact the quality of life of each individual with whom they come in contact.
As a distance education institution and certifying agency, ISSA is unconditionally committed to providing the highest quality distance education programs available, advancing our industry as a whole, and developing greater access to career opportunities for those who share our vision of Creating a Stronger, Healthier World.
ISSA seeks to be recognized as the world leader...
... in providing accessible, quality, advanced fitness education and personal training certification to the motivated, non-traditional learner/professional who seeks to be a leader in the emerging fitness industry-a fast-growing market sector of the global economy...
... for providing new levels of access to motivated, non-traditional students who have not had the opportunity for advanced fitness education and personal trainer certification for reasons of time, money, or geography...
... for innovative use of technology that creates new standards in assessment and achievement of academic excellence...
... for understanding and meeting the changing needs of its students, their clients, and their communities...
... for excellence in student and alumni services and support.
After more than two decades of successfully fulfilling our initial mission of setting and developing standards within the fitness industry, our goals currently focus on providing expanded access to the highest quality fitness education programs available. Currently our industry is not regulated on a city, state or federal level; however we want to expand the vision of our industry and give students access not only to vocational certificates but the ability to earn a degree.
As the world's leader in fitness education, the ISSA delivers comprehensive cognitive and practical distance education for fitness professionals, grounded in industry research, using both traditional and innovative modalities. ISSA upholds Basic Exercise Standards and Guidelines for safe fitness practices.
In view of our leadership role as fitness educators, we are also unconditionally committed to advancing our industry as a whole and to developing greater access to career opportunities for those who share our vision of helping others live a healthier life. Our overall objective is to provide a continuum of education from certificate to associate degree and beyond in order to bring legitimacy to our profession as a whole.
- Students first
- Professional advocacy
- Meeting fitness and health care staffing needs
- Excellence and innovation in education
- Visionary leadership
- Change agents
- Commitment to a healthy and productive lifestyle
- Professional autonomy
- High integrity and ethical standards
- To serve ISSA fitness professionals by developing programs that are beneficial and of interest to the fitness industry
- To enhance professional development of fitness professionals by facilitating opportunities for learning and individual growth
- To establish standards and guidelines for the delivery of quality and professional fitness services and business practices, as well as the development of ethics standards for ISSA fitness professionals
- To collaborate with public and private industries on the development of programs and services to increase the awareness of fitness education and its benefits to individuals and communities
- To network with other industry organizations to advance fitness education, careers and professional practices by initiating and disseminating research findings.
- To enroll a wide range of students from across the globe who are interested in personal growth, job acquisition, career advancement, or higher education in the health and fitness industry.
- To graduate qualified fitness professionals who are prepared for positions in the fitness industry.
- To recruit and retain effective and qualified staff and faculty, committed to distance education.
- To provide students with the skills, support systems, and information they need to succeed in the fitness industry and higher education.
- To tie student assessment to strategic planning.
- To provide relevant and up-to-date curriculum, deliverable through online means.
- To investigate, research, and implement relevant technology as beneficial to the delivery of online education.
To turn our vision into a reality and to accomplish our mission, the ISSA strives for the following outcomes:
To administer policies and programs built upon the best interests of public health and well-being.
- To produce academically sound students who become inspirational leaders in the fitness profession.
- To nurture students' abilities to be lifelong learners.
- To promote the use of professional behaviors in the work environment.
- To provide the foundation for autonomous judgment in professional endeavors as employees or business owners.
- To support faculty scholarship, teaching excellence, and service to the ISSA, community, and professional spheres.
- To support faculty leadership in the development of contemporary curricula.
- To promote student learning by utilizing best instructional practices.
- To focus on helping one student at a time.
- To focus on student success in daily studies, preparation, and testing.
- To promote an organizational culture that respects open communication, job ownership, and teamwork between all divisions: Public, Education and Professional.
- To promote the impact of a healthy, active, and productive lifestyle on all people and society at large.
- To expect ethical behavior and integrity in all staff actions.
- To support professional advocacy in working with external constituencies.
- To focus on regular quality improvements to enhance institutional effectiveness.
- To seek and embrace innovations that enhance educational outcomes.
- To responsibly grow the ISSA based on society's need for our programs, allocating resources and personnel to support the improved health and well-being of our society as a whole.
- To provide visionary educational models that address student learning needs.
- To manage all school operations ethically, economically, safely, and efficiently.