Consumer Information Disclosure
Name of Institution:
International Sports Sciences Association
1015 Mark Ave
Carpinteria California 93013
Year Founded: 1988
First Accredited: 2009
Next Scheduled Review: 2018
President: Dr. Sal Arria
Accreditation and Agency Contact Information:
Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC)
1601 18th Street, NW, Suite 2
Washington D.C. 20009-2529
ISSA is licensed by the California Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education through 2018 (Institution Code: #82931860, Institutional Approval #21564) to operate as an Accredited Institution. View our Licensed Educational Program List
Students who have a grievance may contact ISSA Management by phone at 1-800-892-4772 (1-805-745-8111) or by mail to ISSA Management, 1015 Mark Ave, Carpinteria, CA 93013.
Any questions a student may have regarding this enrollment agreement that have not been satisfactorily answered by ISSA may be directed to the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education at 2535 Capitol Oaks Drive, Suite 400, Sacramento, CA 95814, www.bppe.ca.gov, toll-free telephone number (888) 370-7589 or by fax (916) 263-1897.
A student or any member of the public may file a complaint about this institution with the BPPE by calling (888) 370-7589 toll-free or by completing a complaint form, which can be obtained on the bureau's Internet website www.bppe.ca.gov.
Arkansas Higher Education Coordinating Board certification does not constitute an endorsement of any institution, course or degree program. Such certification merely indicates that certain minimum standards have been met under the rules and regulations of institutional certification as defined in Arkansas Code §6-61-301.
Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education
1625 North Market Blvd. Suite S-202
Sacramento, CA 95834
The Indiana Board for Proprietary Education
101. W. Ohio St., Suite 670
Indianapolis, IN 46204-1984
The Maryland Higher Education Commission
6 N. Liberty Street, 10th floor
Baltimore, MD 21201
ISSA is subject to investigation of student complaints, by the Office of the Attorney General or the Maryland Higher Education Commission. Complaints should be directed to:
Maryland Attorney General
Consumer Protection Division
200 St. Paul St.
Baltimore, MD 21202
410-528-8662 / 888-743-0823 (toll free)
The International Sports Sciences Association is registered with the Minnesota Office of Higher Education pursuant to sections 136A.61 to 136A.71. Registration is not an endorsement of the institution. Credits earned at the institution may not transfer to all other institutions.
Minnesota Office of Higher Education
1450 Energy Park Dr., Suite 350
St. Paul, MN 55108
http://www.ohe.state.mn.us - 651-642-0533
Participation in Funding Programs:
Military Tuition Assistance (TA) is available to eligible servicemembers for our AS in Exercise Science degree program.
Marine Corps TA is available to eligible servicemembers for the structured certification courses that are held quarterly.
International Sports Sciences Association is licensed for Veterans' Educational Benefits.
International Sports Sciences Association's AS in Exercise Science degree program is approved for federal student financial aid. ISSA's federal school code is: 042434
The International Sports Sciences Association believes that the health and fitness of our society can be significantly improved by our students' success as health, sports and fitness professionals. Our efforts to stem the tide of poor health and physical decline are multiplied exponentially as our graduates and members disseminate the ISSA principles and methods to their clients, peers and associates. Our mission is to inspire each and every student to positively impact the quality of life of each individual with whom they come in contact.
As a distance education institution and certifying agency, the ISSA is unconditionally committed to providing the highest quality distance education programs available, advancing our industry as a whole, and developing greater access to career opportunities for those who share our vision of Creating a Stronger, Healthier World.
- Students first
- Professional Advocacy
- Meeting fitness and health care staffing needs
- Excellence and innovation in education
- Visionary leadership
- Change Agents
- Commitment to a healthy and productive lifestyle
- Professional autonomy
- High integrity and ethical standards
- To serve ISSA fitness professionals by developing programs that are beneficial and of interest to the fitness industry
- To enhance professional development of fitness professionals by facilitating opportunities for learning and individual growth
- To establish standards and guidelines for the delivery of quality and professional fitness services and business practices, as well as the development of ethics standards for ISSA fitness professionals
- To collaborate with public and private industries on the development of programs and services to increase the awareness of fitness education and its benefits to individuals and communities
- To network with other industry organizations to advance fitness education, careers and professional practices by initiating and disseminating research findings.
- To graduate students who are prepared for the fitness industry
- To enroll a wide range of qualified students from across the globe interested in personal growth, job acquisition, career advancement or higher education goals in the health and fitness industry.
- To recruit and retain effective and qualified staff and faculty committed to distance education.
- To provide students skills, support systems and information they need to succeed in the fitness industry and higher education aspirations.
- To tie student assessments to our strategic planning
- To provide relevant and up to date curriculum deliverable through online means.
- To investigate, research and implement relevant technology as beneficial to the delivery of online education.
To turn our vision into a reality and to accomplish our mission, the ISSA strives for the following outcomes
1. To administer policies and programs with the priority being the best interests of public health and well being.
2. To produce students that are inspirational leaders, academically sound, and professional in their fitness and health related profession.
3. To nurture students' abilities to be lifelong learners
4. To promote the use of professional behaviors in the work environment
5. To enable the skills necessary to exercise autonomous judgment in professional endeavors as employees or business owners.
Learning and Teaching
7. To support faculty scholarship, teaching excellence, and service to the ISSA, community and professional activities
8. To support faculty leadership in the development of contemporary curricula
9. To promote student learning by utilizing best instructional practices
10. To focus on helping one student at a time.
11. To focus on student success in daily studies, preparation and testing (competence)
12. To promote an organizational culture that respects open communication, job ownership, and teamwork between all divisions; Public, Education and Professional.
13. To encourage sharing the impact that a healthy active and productive lifestyle creates on all people and society at large.
14. To expect ethical behavior and integrity in all staff actions.
15. To support professional advocacy in working with external constituencies
16. To focus on regular quality improvements to enhance institutional effectiveness
Growth and Innovation
17. To search out and embrace change and innovation in processes that enhances educational outcomes
18. To responsibly grow the ISSA based on societyâ€™s need for our programs and the availability of resources and personnel to support the improved health and well being of our society as a whole.
19. To provide visionary educational models that address student learning needs
20. To manage all school operations ethically, economically, safely and efficiently
AS Exercise Science with an Emphasis in Personal Training
Certified Fitness Trainer
Specialist in Fitness Nutrition
Corrective Exercise Specialist
Specialist in Exercise Therapy
Specialist in Senior Fitness
Youth Fitness Trainer
Specialist in Sports Conditioning
Specialist in Group Fitness
Specialist in Sports Nutrition
Self-paced Individual Certificate Courses
$599.00 + S&H
Guided Study Certificate Courses
$925.00 + S&H
$185.00 / quarter credit
Percentage of Students Surveyed Who Responded that they:
Achieved their learning goals: 96%
Would recommend the school to a friend: 97%
Were satisfied with their studies: 95%
Achieved their learning goals: 90%
Would recommend the school to a friend: 95%
Were satisfied with their studies: 93%
AS in Exercise Science with an Emphasis in Personal Training 40%
- Master Trainer 70%
- Elite Trainer 72%
- Certified Fitness Trainer (CFT) 83%
- Specialist in Fitness Nutrition (SFN) 87%
- Specialist in Exercise Therapy (SET) 85%
- Specialist in Strength & Conditioning (SSC) 81%
- Youth Fitness Trainer (YFT) 84%
- Specialist in Senior Fitness (SSF) 87%
- Specialist in Group Fitness (SGF) 84%
- Corrective Exercise Specialist (CES) 85%
- Specialist in Sports Nutrition (SSN) 80%
- Bodybuilding Specialist BBS) 88%
Percentage of Graduates Surveyed Who Responded That They:
Learned to think critically and analytically about health and fitness: 99%
Learned to solve complex real-world health and fitness problems: 96%
Learned something that changed the way they understood an issue or concept
related to health and fitness problems: 91%
Job Related Indicators
Obtained the knowledge and skills necessary for employment as a certified fitness professional: 95.8%
Were gainfully employed or self-employed within 6 months after graduation: 89%
Began earning money as an employee or independent contractor with 10 weeks after graduation: 80%
Acquired job or work related skills 6 months after graduation: 92%
Received a job promotion: 49%
Received a pay increase: 58%
How much are you currently earning per year in your part time or full time employment?
|$0 - $5,000.00 (part time)
|$5,001.00 - $10,0000.00 (part time)
|$10,001.00 - $15,000.00 (part time)
|$15,001.00 - $20,000.00
|$20,001.00 - $25,000.00
|$25,001.00 - $30,000.00
|$35,001.00 - $40,000.00
|$40,000.00 - $45,000.00
Employer/Owner/Manager/Supervisor or Director survey responses on ISSA graduates:
Do you feel that the ISSA trainers that you employ are adequately prepared for daily training duties upon initial hire? 91.7%
Would you say that the ISSA trainers consistently and effectively help their clients achieve intended objectives? 100%
Would you consider your ISSA trainers sufficiently knowledgeable regarding training- and nutrition-related topics? 95.8%
Do the ISSA trainers adequately demonstrate the ability to structure and periodize their clients' workout programs to maximize the potential for success? 96%
Do the ISSA trainers show a functional knowledge of basic anatomy, physiology, biomechanics, and exercise physiology? 100%
Do the ISSA trainers effectively integrate sound nutritional analysis with their clients' training programs (if allowed)? 91.7%
Do your ISSA trainers communicate clearly and effectively with clientele? 95.8%
Overall, would you say that your experience working with/managing ISSA trainers has been positive? 95.8%
States in which the ISSA has obtained authorization, a formal exemption and or are not required under various state jurisdictions and the effective dates:
|California (home state)
||05/06/2013 till 2018
|District of Columbia
International Sports Sciences Association is an accredited member of the Better Business Bureau with an A+ rating.